POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The next evolution in P2P : Re: The next evolution in P2P Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:14:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The next evolution in P2P
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 9 May 2009 05:07:04
Message: <4a0547b8$1@news.povray.org>
From: "Darren New" <dne### [at] sanrrcom>
Newsgroups: povray.off-topic
Sent: Saturday, May 09, 2009 2:00 AM
Subject: The next evolution in P2P

> This would eliminate the ability to rationally accuse some site like The
> Pirate Bay of knowing what's in the torrents they're serving. The site
> would have to actively go and try to download some of every data stream
> and then check it to find out what's in the torrent.

I'm not sure that would change anything. Either the site can point to
torrents in a usable way (providing content descriptions, rating etc.) or it
can't. It it can then the site can be accused to assist in copyright
infringement and no amount of obfuscation or "king kong defense" will
matter. If it cannot then the site is useless and whatever business model it
has falls apart.
BTW, there's an idea floating around, that consists in encrypting content
without giving the key, but still making it not too hard to crack, so people
wanting the content can easily get it (by using a cracking tool and waiting
a couple of minutes). However, people wanting to prove an infringement would
also have to crack the key, which could be illegal in some legal systems and
make the proof null in court, a little like B&E someone's house to prove
that he stole your things. I don't think it's workable in practice either
(law enforcement agencies could bypass it of course) , but it's cute.

G.